Pattern Hack: Removing the panels from the Girls Lovebug Skirt
Posted on 15 August 2018
Sew an easy A-line skirt using our Lovebug sewing pattern hack
Have you got the perfect print fabric to make your little girl a Lovebug Skirt but the panels will cut right through your fabulous print?
This is an easy pattern hack on how to make simple changes to our panelled Girls Lovebug Skirt Pattern (lengths from mini to maxi) to sew a fast & easy A-line skirt that fits beautifully.
You can sew any length you like, from mini to maxi skirts, and add any of the pockets in the original Lovebug Skirt sewing pattern.
This is the pattern we'll be using, the Girls Lovebug Skirt. If you don't have the Girls Lovebug sewing pattern in your collection yet, click here to see all the options available to sew.
1. PRINT & CUT OUT THE PATTERN PIECES NEEDED:
- Print & cut out the following pattern pieces: 1, 2, 3 & 4 in whichever length skirt you wish to make.
2. DRAW IN SEAM ALLOWANCE: FRONT
- Draw a dotted line 1cm (3/8") in from the edge along the notched edge of pattern pieces #1 & #2.
- Let's mark the seam line at the hem (A) & at the waistline (B).
3. JOIN PIECES: FRONT
- Align pattern pieces #1 & #2 at (A)
- Hold pattern pieces together at (A) and swivel #2 until they align at (B).
4. FINISHED TOUCHES: FRONT
- Trim away the 1cm (3/8") seam allowance at centre front of #1. Your front skirt will now be cut on the fold.
- Add in new cutting instructions - cut 1 on fold.
- Remove the grain lines.
- Add in new 'Fold' grain line to the centre front.
5. ADJUSTING THE BACK PIECES:
- Repeat steps 1-3 on the back pieces #3 & #4.
- You won't need to trim the centre back as this is already cut on the fold.
6. HERE ARE YOUR NEW PATTERN PIECES:
7. CUTTING YOUR NEW SKIRT:
- Cut 1 on the fold of both the new front & back pattern pieces.
- Cut waistband & all other pieces as outlined in the pattern for the style you're making.
8. SEWING YOUR NEW SKIRT:
- Skirt with Jean-style or no pockets: Start sewing your skirt from Step 30 on page 18 for pocket-free or jean-style pockets.
- Skirt with Front Pockets: If you're adding the cute little front pockets, start on page 15. You will need to keep your pattern handy as a guide for the pocket placement.
- Mock Front Skirt: If you're adding the mock front, start at Step 3 on page 29.
And that's all there is to it! It's so fast & easy you could sew a simple A-line Skirt in an afternoon.
If you don't have the Girls Lovebug sewing pattern in your collection yet, click here to see all the options available to sew.