Accessing, Downloading, Printing & Joining Your PDF Patterns
Posted on 27 April 2019
This step-by-step guide outlines:
- where to find your purchased pattern files on the website;
- how to download your patterns;
- how to print them at home including what setttings to use;
- and lastly, the best ways to join the pages together accurately & quickly.
ACCESSING YOUR PATTERN IN YOUR ACCOUNT
- Click on 'My Account' on the menu bar.
- Log in using your email address & password.
- You will now see your account page listing your Order History
- Scroll to the bottom of the page & click ‘My Downloadable Files’
- You will now see all of your purchased patterns & their files listed below.
DOWNLOADING YOUR PATTERN
- Click on file needed & save it to your computer for printing & your phone for reading.
PRINTING AT HOME
BEFORE PRINTING YOUR PATTERN
- GET ADOBE READER: Download Adobe Reader if you don't already have it on your computer. Here's the link: https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ It's a free program.
- OPEN & READ: Open the file in Adobe Reader & read page 2 of the main tutorial (the one with the picture on the front). This is the contents page & will tell you what your pattern contains. There is a LOT of information contained in our tutorials from fitting to printing. Some Print-at-Home patterns are found in their own file. In others, you'll find them at the back of the main tutorial.
- PRINTING GUIDE: Open up the tutorial. In most of our tutorials you'll find a page printing guide. This show you which pages to print for the style you want to make, so you don't need to print all the pattern pages.
- LAYERS: If you're not familiar with layers, this is an awesome feature available in Adobe Reader. It allows you to 'switch off' the sizes you don't want to print. For more information, click here. A new tab will open so you can save it to read later.
Once you open the print box (file > print) you will have the following options:
- PAGES TO PRINT: Write in the page numbers you actually want to print. Most of the time, you don't need to print them all. See the guide in your tutorial to help with this.
- PAGE SIZE & HANDLING: Here choose either 'Actual Size' or 'Custom 100%'. Then deselect (untick) 'Choose paper source by PDF page size'.
- ORIENTATION: Choose 'Auto Portrait/Landscape'.
- PRINT: Select the print button.
JOINING THE PATTERN PAGES TOGETHER
WHAT WILL A PRINTED PATTERN PAGE LOOK LIKE?
- BOXES: When you print out your PE pattern pages correctly, you will see lines contained inside a rectangle on each page.
- TRIANGLES: You will also see a little triangle with a number inside along some edges. These are to help you join your pages together accurately.
- LAYOUT SUMMARY: In most tutorials, you will also find a Pattern Layout Summary which shows you what the pages look like, all stuck together.
IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO JOIN THEM TOGETHER?
- PROBLEM: Our home printings aren't always that reliable for accuracy. Sometimes pages print out and don't align as precisely as we'd like them to. This is especially true for ladies wear because of the large number of pages we print.
- SOLUTION: First join the pages in separate rows. Then, once all the rows are complete, you can stick those rows together to create the whole pattern.
TO TRIM OR NOT TO TRIM:
- TRIM: Trim along the base & right of each box. Then align along this line, matching the triangled number with it's pair, on a flat surface in the order outlined above.
- NO TRIM: Click HERE to watch our video for a quick & easy method that i use that requires no trimming. This link will take you to the Pattern Emporium YouTube channel.