A growing number of PE ladies are on the opposite side of the world to our design studio & basking in Summer right now.
So what better way to start our True Romance pattern hack/mash journey than with a sleeveless pattern hack for the banded option.
This pattern hack is so simple, you'll whip it up in an hour.
Click on the button above for the True Romance summer pattern if you don't already have it.
The image on the left (top image on your phone) is the bishop sleeve banded top, one of the options available in the True Romance pattern.
The image on the right (lower image on your phone) is my sleeveless version of the banded top, a really simple option for warmer weather and to get more out of your pattern. Below I've outlined how to adjust your pattern to make this.
Fabric: Telio Shibori rayon bamboo jersey available at fabric.com here. The quality of Telio fabric is really lovely to work with and very well priced.
Let's get started on the sleeveless pattern hack.
1. On the front side seam (Pattern piece #1), measure 2.5cm (1") down from the armhole. Mark this point.
2. Starting halfway down the front armhole, redraw the armhole to this point (use pencil because you'll probably need to reshape the base).
3. Repeat on the back (pattern piece #2).
A very important part of pattern making is prooving your seams. In this case, this means checking that your side seams still match & your new armhole is smooth at this point.
Here's how to do that:
4. Overlap the front & back pieces along the side seam (7mm or 1/4" either side) so that your actual sewing lines are aligned.
5. Check the transition between front & back & redraw if necessary. You want it to be nice and smooth.
Here's a close up.
To work out how long your bands need to be, we need to do a little math. Don't worry if this isn't your forté. It's quick & easy & I'll guide you through.
6. Measure your new armhole. To do this, place the tape measure on it's side & measure along the new front & back armholes.
Front _______ Back _______
7. Now comes the math part.
Add these together: _______
Then subtract 1.4cm (1/2"): _______
Next multiply it by 0.9 on your calculator: _______
8. Grab the neckband pattern piece (#6) and draw a rectangle the same width & using the final measurement above for the length.
9. Cut out the pieces required in your fabric.
#1 Banded Front
#2 Banded Back
#3 Neck Band
#4 Hem Band
Plus the new Arm Bands x 2.
Make sure the arm bands are cut with the stretch running across the fabric, the same as the neckband.
10. Shoulders, side seams, neck band & hem band: Follow Steps 1, 12, 13-25.
11. Armholes: Make & attach arm bands.
To do this:
Make your arm bands - repeat neck band steps 13-14 for this.
Divide arm bands in half & then quarters. Mark these points.
Divide armhole in half & then quarters. Mark these points.
Add the arm band to the armhole as outlined in neck band steps 15-16. Remember to align the points (notches) you made above.
12. Lastly, iron your bands seams flat first to get out any puckering. Then iron the seam allowance towards the top & the bands flat. Iron top as outlined at Step 26.
In the pattern hack video in our Facebook group (Sunday evening 22/7), I paired the sleeveless pattern hack with: